Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Blue Tarps

This morning I was driving to work along the route I used to always take. Lately I’ve been going another route and this morning, it felt like it had been a long time since I was on the highway. As I was driving along the road that I’ve taken for the last 5 years, things looked very different from me. By the side of the highway, there is a canal (go figure in Florida, right?) and on the other side of the canal there are houses. In the past I’ve never been able to see the houses because of the line of trees and high fences blocking the view. Well, today I got an eye full. Oh, what a cute tricycle on their back porch. Wow, those people have a huge grill. Oh my, that man in his living room should really put on a robe or something. It’s amazing how the landscape has changed so much since Hurricane Wilma. So much attention was on Katrina that people didn’t seem to take notice of Wilma. Well, we certainly did. (* Note, I am not trying to downplay Katrina. I know we made if off much better than the people of the gulf coast and my heart goes out to them. *) No one I know that had a fence had one after Wilma passed. Maybe they had parts of it still up, but not all of it. There are maybe a quarter of the trees there were before. And traffic signs and lights? Some streets still have one little light on a 3 lane road. A turn light? What’s that? The signs, well, let’s just say I always tell people to go past the KFC and turn right at the Texaco to find my house. Street names are not going to help at all. As I drove along the highway seeing all of this, I also noticed the large number of blue tarps. They were everywhere. When my co-worker showed us the wedding pictures he had taken out back of his house by the lake, you could see blue tarps on the houses across the lake. It’s been 6 months and people still haven’t gotten their roofs repaired. I still haven’t gotten my windows fixed. And hurricane season will be here soon. Are we doomed to another bad hurricane season? Will my windows come in before the roof gets blown off? Will that man put on a robe or close his curtains? No one knows the answers to these questions, but I do know one thing. You better hold on to your blue tarps!

4 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, March 30, 2006, Blogger Shawn said...

Man, hurricanes are just crazy to me. One of my friends lives in W. Palm Beach and he was describing what it was like living through his first hurricane and I flipped out. Between putting the shutters on the windows, the lack of clean water and the extended periods of power outtages I was floored. Let's pray nothing severe happens this hurricane season for you guys.

 
At 11:27 AM, March 31, 2006, Blogger SP said...

Shawn - Yeah, it sucked. I would say that in the past 2 years I have lost power 5 or 6 times. I don't have shutters, so I don't have to go through putting those up. Of course that presents a whole list of other issues. Luckly we didn't have flooding. But on a positive note, you get really close to all your neighbors when you have a huge BBQ of all the spoiling food in the middle of the street every evening. Did you know you could grill just about anything?

 
At 2:40 PM, March 31, 2006, Blogger Aziza said...

Hurricane season will be starting again in June. After last year's hurricane season, I wonder how folks will fare this year.

 
At 3:06 PM, April 03, 2006, Blogger Shawn said...

I coulda sworn I posted a reply here on Friday. It must've been when I was on the Sidekick and couldn't post my thoughts. Dammit!

What do you mean, you can grill anything? Non-traditional grill items?

My buddy never told me about the BBQs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home